Saturday, June 26, 2010

Freedom Song - Day 1: Just in Time

I arrived at the Oliver Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg just in time, it seems. The South African soccer team has been holding their own, but offical Vodacom staff presented me with a uniform upon arrival. I was a little surprised that they did not present a vuvuzela, given my background as a musician, nonetheless, I was happy to be recognized for the high school one-year in the soccer club player that I am.

There are Americans (and Greeks, Italians, Brazilians, Aussies, etc.) everywhere. I have found myself wondering when the Americans will go home so we can have some peace and quiet around here. Since I arrived on a Friday evening, I have not had much business to conduct, and will begin the schedule of meetings with the U.S. Consulate representative and choir directors on Monday morning. I was greeted at my Guest House by Wayne Jones, transportation provider for Appalachian State University in Johannesburg. It was wonderful to see a friendly face and have his immediate assistance with my logistical needs. His beautiful daughter Amy was with him and she has grown like a weed since this time last year.

Since I've been rather leisurely today, I made my way to a department store for some office supplies, then a local "prawn" restaurant. I did not expect the prawn to be served heads and all, but fortunately, my time in New Orleans had taught me how to handle the situation.

The rest of the evening is devoted to jet lag recovery, along with watching the U.S. match with Ghana. My fellow countrymen are hunters who somehow got three days ahead of schedule, so instead of hunting today, they have been drinking Hansa and preparing in their own way to support the U.S. team tonight. While I won't say exactly where they are from, I will say it is north of the Mason Dixon line and west of the Mississippi.

No comments:

Post a Comment