Tuesday, August 17, 2010

I See You

In the Zulu language, one says Sawobona which literally translates "I see you".  My isiZulu teacher is a Professor of Language in the College of Education at the University of Zululand, who is also a sister in a religious order.  I address her as Sista Biyela, at her request.  Some interesting information comes along with learning to say "Sawobona" from a professional.  For instance, the "sa" in Sawobona is a plural form, but is used by one person who starts the greeting because it implies that: I, greet you together with both my living and living-dead family; and we are all concerned about you as you are part of us in the community.

From my textbook: "When two people greet each other, they shake right hands.  When you shake hands and you want to show respect and peace, the wrist of the right arm should be held by the left hand to support an act of love. " You can see this wrist holding technique if you watch the "#1 Ladies Detective Agency" tv show.  Precious Ramotswe always gives her client a cup of tea using this technique, as it is also used for giving items to people.  If you are receiving something, you place your left hand underneath your right hand to support it. The books says "it means that what is carried in the right hand is so huge and great that it needs support from both hands - no matter how small the thing given.  You may wish to thank the person using his/her praise name."

Every Zulu person has a praise name which is used when you want to thank someone or calm a person down - you use his/her praise name.  Imagine being in the middle of a rant and someone calls you by your praise name - that would be a little surprise, I think.  The praise name is more like a surname than a first name, and you never marry someone with your same praise name.  Sister Biyela says this is handy to know as a school teacher, because if I am supervising children at school and someone I don't recognize says he is an uncle and is here to pick up Thando, then I ask his surname - if he gives me his surname (many surnames indicate a specific praise name) and it is also the praise name that corresponds to Thando - then I would know the man is lying, as he could not possibly have married Thando's Aunt, who carries the same praise name.

I have been told by many informants that Zulus are not all one family, but many families or many clans.  So the Amahubo that would be sung in a ritualistic situation (one that I will never hear as a non-Zulu, unlesss I'm temporarily accepted by virtue of some role I might be asked to fill) would correspond specifically to the clan - indicated in modern society by the praise name.

First names also carry some baggage, mostly good, but not always.  My name - Nozibusiso-is very nice, because I was able to help choose it, but most people are given those names at birth.  The given name corresponds either to a role the new child is expected to play in the family, or an expression of circumstances regarding the birth.  This can be unfortunate, if one is born out of wedlock, because even modern unmarried Zulu parents may call the child Uxolo (forgiveness) to express sorrow that shame may have been brought to the family by their behavior.  The naming in general, though is a topic of conversation and a great way to create new chat with someone, so I always enjoy discussing it, as most people have happy stories to tell about their names.

So when Sister B asked me what characteristics everyone notices about me, I said that I was very lucky and very blessed, and it seemed that people around me were also very lucky and very blessed.  So she found the word for blessing busiso and then I had to decide if I wanted the form of the word that meant "the one blessing" (as though I was the answer to my parents wildest dreams) or "the mother of all blessings" (just one good thing after another, and all around me).  Sister told me to sleep on it and let her know at the following lesson.  Naturally, I chose the latter, but not just because it indicated so many blessings, but because I presented both options to Zulu friends, and they unanimously chose Nozibusiso over the alternative - Sibusisiwe.  Apparently Nozibusiso suits me well.

No comments:

Post a Comment