Friday, August 9, 2019

Happy Women's Day

August is Women's Month and August 9 is Women's Day in South Africa.  Women's Day is a pubic holiday, so activities range from musical and performing arts events to lectures and speeches, and even to cookouts called braais, like the one I am attending today.  It is delightful to be greeted by friends and colleagues who say "Happy Women's Day!" and I was inspired to share some stories about some of the most important women in my life.  As a part-time African, I should begin with my elders, and I'll keep sharing more inspiring women from both my American and South African realms as the month continues. 

MOM - as she used to say, "it's WOW, upside down." My mother Linda Leake Wilson, the mother of five children, eight grandchildren and one brand new great-grandchild.  She was one of those amazing women who raised children in the 1960s-1980s, and I remember hot meals cooked from scratch every day as a child.  Her chosen career path was nursing, out of which she developed a great sense of observing other people and to this day, can seem to look at me and tell if I have a headache.  One of my favorite memories is when I was a child and needed a topic for a 4-H presentation.  So she taught me the contents of a proper first-aid kit and set to work teaching me how to use it all.  I still carry a first-aid kit wherever I am teaching, and say, Thanks, Mom and Wow!"

Miss Linda and me above in 2017 with our new hairdos.  

Aunt Janet - my mother's sister, and my constant fan.  Aunt Janet is one of those aunts who never failed to attend my endless performances, recitals, graduations, and yes, both weddings!  She is a fun-loving person and is pictured here with her beloved husband of many years, my late Uncle Bo.

 



My beautiful and wonderful sisters, Cindy Wilson Kopelke and Laura Wilson.  Cindy lives in Baltimore with her husband Paul and daughter Lucy.  She and Paul have four children between them, and I love the concept of "family meetings" they embrace in the household.  Cindy is a lover of music, literature and humanity; and a teacher of children who speak English as a second or third language.  Her teaching is surpassed only by her extremely thoughtful approach to life with all its challenges, complexities and joys.    Laura is a mother to three college-age children and lives in Wytheville, VA.  She has just become a Professor of Law at Appalachian School of Law, after many years serving the Supreme Court of the Commonwealth of Virginia.  Laura is known for her fierce devotion to the people she loves and I am so thankful to be one of them!  





2 comments:

  1. Read all the latest and breaking celebrity entertainment news including
    BOX OFFICE, CELEBRITY, MOVIES, MUSIC, STYLE, TELEVISION, TRAILERS, VIDEOS Visit us online today
    at : https://eentertainment4u.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. My name is Alecia from ca usa. I would advise anyone and everyone who needs the help of any spell caster in love marriage,finance, job promotion,lottery spell,poker spell,golf spell,Law & Court case Spells,money spell,weigh loss spell,diabetic spell,hypertensive spell,high cholesterol spell,Trouble in marriage,Barrenness(need spiritual marriage separation),good Luck, Money Spells,it's all he does or looking for breakthrough in your political career to meet this Dr Mandaker the link to his website copy this link (witch-doctor.page4.me)His email contact witchhealing@outlook.com for He is a Reliable and trustworthy man, is ready to help!

    ReplyDelete